Christian Warriors Online
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Can someone help me understand this

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Ladyfire
Co-Admin
Co-Admin
Ladyfire

Female
Number of posts : 435
Registration date : 2007-12-09

Can someone help me understand this Empty
PostSubject: Can someone help me understand this   Can someone help me understand this EmptyThu Apr 03, 2008 6:38 pm

When Jesus speaks to us "metaphorically speaking" and what we read in the bible - what does it speak to?

I'm confused so I'm sure this question is confusing.

I always thought that God / Jesus spoke to our hearts. I listen to my heart all the time when I make decisions - not just my heart - but my mind as well - but I am an emotional type person and usually go with what my heart tells me....

Is this wrong and if so, can someone explain it to me. I'd really appreciate any help you all can give me on this.

Blessed be,

Lisa
Back to top Go down
Mike
Graphics Designer
Graphics Designer

Male
Number of posts : 106
Registration date : 2008-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Can someone help me understand this   Can someone help me understand this EmptyThu Apr 03, 2008 6:51 pm

Jesus said that when he left earth to sit on the right hand of the Father that he would send a helper....That helper is the Holy Spirit....If the Holy Spirit doen't tell me to do it, I don't do it.

John 14:26;
26 But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he will teach you ALL THINGS, and
will remind you of all that I said to you.

This says nothing about the heart. The Spirit is everything. Sadly enough people will say that the Holy Spirit has told them to do it so that they can fulfill there own lust and desires of the flesh. The I wants in life become more important than what the Lord wills.
Back to top Go down
Ladyfire
Co-Admin
Co-Admin
Ladyfire

Female

PostSubject: Re: Can someone help me understand this   Can someone help me understand this EmptyThu Apr 03, 2008 6:54 pm

Please forgive my ignorance on this and I feel like a complete fool for not understanding this.

I understand that it is the Holy Spirit who directs us to do things - that he is the one telling us - but what hears it - is it our minds, our hearts - how do we know that it is Him telling us to do these things and not a darker evil?

Again, I don't ask this to be smart because I really don't understand this and feel that it is something important that I need to know.

Blessed be,

Lisa
Back to top Go down
Mike
Graphics Designer
Graphics Designer

Male

PostSubject: Re: Can someone help me understand this   Can someone help me understand this EmptyThu Apr 03, 2008 7:06 pm

The Holy Spirit hears it....you have to use your own discernment to recognize it....when you have heard the Holy Spirit speaking to you enough you will be able to recognize it more and more. Know this....I don't believe it is God calling you to Mississippi, I think it is self and emotion. And that is my discernment.
Back to top Go down
Ladyfire
Co-Admin
Co-Admin
Ladyfire

Female

PostSubject: Re: Can someone help me understand this   Can someone help me understand this EmptyThu Apr 03, 2008 7:15 pm

I agree whole-heartedly with what you just said - it is not the Holy Spirit telling me to go to Mississippi. That choice was made by me. I prayed about what I should do in order to help find myself again because you know as well as I do that there are many reasons I need to find myself again and my infertility issues is only one of many. I prayed long and hard and when this opportunity presented itself I felt that this was something I needed to do. I know that there are dangers with doing something like this, but after talking to Charlie for hours on this and sending up tons of prayers I feel that this is something I have to do.

If I am still missing something here, please continue this discussion with me as it is helpful in my journey.

Blessed be,

Lisa
Back to top Go down
Mike
Graphics Designer
Graphics Designer

Male

PostSubject: Re: Can someone help me understand this   Can someone help me understand this EmptyThu Apr 03, 2008 7:20 pm

You are depending on others to fullfill your emotional and spiritual needs....Let go and let God. Don't depend on some guy in mississippi to be your answer. Your answer is Jesus and if you need help finding yourself don't depend on anyone but Jesus and maybe the pastor of your Church. You do go to Church right?
Back to top Go down
Ladyfire
Co-Admin
Co-Admin
Ladyfire

Female

PostSubject: Re: Can someone help me understand this   Can someone help me understand this EmptyThu Apr 03, 2008 7:27 pm

I am not going to Mississippi to find the answers from this family. I need to try and find the right way to phrase this - I could think here but I have to many distractions here - work, parents, family, computer, tv, life..... I am going away to meet this people, yes - but I also feel that I will be able to spend some time there, away from them, where I can sit and think and pray and meditate without the interference I get here.

As for Church - I try to attend when I can but it is difficult with shift work. It's a new church to me and I am not yet comfortable approaching the minister or other members of the congregration for help with this.

I guess that is part of the reason that I have posted here, for help understanding.

Blessed be,

Lisa
Back to top Go down
Mike
Graphics Designer
Graphics Designer

Male

PostSubject: Re: Can someone help me understand this   Can someone help me understand this EmptyThu Apr 03, 2008 7:32 pm

I cannot help you when you have your mind set, all i can do is pray....Good Luck and God Bless
Back to top Go down
Ladyfire
Co-Admin
Co-Admin
Ladyfire

Female

PostSubject: Re: Can someone help me understand this   Can someone help me understand this EmptyThu Apr 03, 2008 7:40 pm

I can't continue learning or understanding when things like this happen. I'm still trying to figure out how I hear the Holy Spirit if I don't get the discernment thing.

Blessed be,

Lisa
Back to top Go down
Mike
Graphics Designer
Graphics Designer

Male

PostSubject: Re: Can someone help me understand this   Can someone help me understand this EmptyThu Apr 03, 2008 8:48 pm

Discernment is something that must be practiced. With time you will be able to tell what is what. I am not trying to sound like I have it all together and have nothing to learn...and if it comes across that way I apologize.....it is just that I can see it so clearly, and when others cannot see it, it frustrates me because it is sitting right in front of there noses....close enough that i can see it. But what it comes down to is this.....I refuse to try and convince or push anyone of anything, so I feel i should back away and Let God do his Mighty work that you and I can not Fathom.
Back to top Go down
Ladyfire
Co-Admin
Co-Admin
Ladyfire

Female

PostSubject: Re: Can someone help me understand this   Can someone help me understand this EmptyThu Apr 03, 2008 8:52 pm

No need to apologize about something you understand that others do not, myself included. We have touched on discernment before and I thought I had figured it out but I was mistaken because as you can see I am still finding it hard to figure it out and I know it frustrates you because you see something I don't.

You are not pushing or convincing me to do anything and maybe this topic would be better talking about discernment and not my personal situation. Maybe that would help me understand it more.

It's up to you though. I am open to listening if you are open to discussing.

Blessed be,

Lisa
Back to top Go down
Mike
Graphics Designer
Graphics Designer

Male

PostSubject: Re: Can someone help me understand this   Can someone help me understand this EmptyThu Apr 03, 2008 8:58 pm

i am gonna move this discussion to X fire for both of us to discuss as this may not be the place for it.
Back to top Go down
vash
Admin
Admin
vash

Male
Number of posts : 760
Registration date : 2007-12-04

PostSubject: Re: Can someone help me understand this   Can someone help me understand this EmptyThu Apr 03, 2008 10:46 pm

i just spent about 10minutes reading this, and i would like to give my input if its ok...

What Mike has said it totally true, and i believe it with all of my holy spirit. The Holy Spirit is something u much recognize yourself and you must ALLOW it to take control over you, the good control, the control that God wants you to have.
Lisa you ask how do u know if u hear the Holy Spirit...well this is something only you and God and figure out, no other person can accept and give you the holy spirit except Christ almighty. people here on Earth such as Mike, and your church, can only guide you, show you, teach you...lead you in the right direction, but it is ALL up to YOU to accept the holy spirit and to learn how to listen to it, and feel the love of christ work through you. Lisa, pray...pray...pray is all i can tell you. From reading this discussion, i take it that you are unsure whether you have the holy spirit working in you, well i will keep you in my prayers...but it is up to you to pray and ask god to fill your heart/soul with the holy spirit.

GodBless Lisa, and great posts Mike, i hope it helps Lisa understand clearer about her un-understanding. GodBless you both Smile !
Back to top Go down
Ladyfire
Co-Admin
Co-Admin
Ladyfire

Female

PostSubject: Re: Can someone help me understand this   Can someone help me understand this EmptyThu Apr 03, 2008 11:03 pm

Thank you both for taking the time to try and help me throught this crazy mess. I won't lie and tell you I understand what you mean because I don't and I'm going to keep coming back to this post to read and re-read what you both have written.

I don't understand discernment and I don't understand what hears the Holy Spirit. If it's not my heart then what is it???

Is there something somewhere that I can read on this that might help me make sense of this all. If I don't understand it now, will I ever truly figure it out...... I really need help with this. I know you can't show it to me or make me feel it but I need hep understanding it.

Blessed be,

Lisa
Back to top Go down
Mike
Graphics Designer
Graphics Designer

Male

PostSubject: Re: Can someone help me understand this   Can someone help me understand this EmptyThu Apr 03, 2008 11:16 pm

As Vash has said Lisa....Pray Pray Pray....and remember, In His time you will understand. God is the only one that can help you to understand. This is obvious by the fact that we are still trying to help you understand, but we can't because we are human and man. You must go to the Father with this, and I can tell you from experience that He can make it so you understand. God Bless and I will be praying for you.
Back to top Go down
Ladyfire
Co-Admin
Co-Admin
Ladyfire

Female

PostSubject: Re: Can someone help me understand this   Can someone help me understand this EmptyThu Apr 03, 2008 11:23 pm

I know you both can't help me find what I am looking for that prayer is my means of finding - maybe I need to rephrase what I am looking for - I need someone to redefine for me what discernment is. I know you did for me Mike before, but I honestly don't remember what it is. So if one or both or someone could just define what discernment means and what is means to have it then that might help me just a bit more.

Blessed be,

lisa
Back to top Go down
Mike
Graphics Designer
Graphics Designer

Male

PostSubject: Re: Can someone help me understand this   Can someone help me understand this EmptyFri Apr 04, 2008 5:54 am

This is the definition from Wikipedia for Discernment. My definition is this......Using the Holy Spirit to tell if something is of or from God or not. Wikipedia touches on that in the Discerning of Spirits. I hope that this doesn't confuse you even more.

Discernment
is a term used in Christian tradition to describe the process of
discerning God's will for one's life.
All moral conduct may be summed up in the rule: avoid evil and do good. In
the language of Christian asceticism, spirits, in the broad sense, is the term
applied to certain complex influences, capable of impelling the will, the ones
toward good, the others toward evil; we have the wordly spirit of error, the
spirit of race, the spirit of Christianity, etc.
However, in the restricted sense, spirits indicate the various spiritual
agents which, by their suggestions and movements, may influence the moral value
of our acts. Concupiscence, disturbances of the imagination and errors of
sensibility, thwart or pervert the operations of the intellect and will, by
deterring the one from the true and the other from the good (Genesis 8:21; James
1:14). In opposition to our vitiated nature, or so to speak, to the flesh which
drags us into sin, the Spirit of God acts within us by grace, a supernatural
help given to our intellect and will to lead us back to good and to the
observance of the moral law (Romans 7:22-25). Besides these two spirits, the
human and the Divine, in the actual order of Providence, two others must be
observed. The Creator willed that there should be communication between angels
and men, and as the angels are of two kinds, good and bad, the latter try to win
us over to their rebellion and the former endeavour to make us their companions
in obedience. Hence four spirits lay siege to our liberty: the angelic and the
Divine seeking its good, and the human (in the sense heretofore mentioned) and
the diabolical its misery. In ordinary language they may, for brevity sake, be
called simply the good and the evil spirit.

The scriptural basis for the discernment of spirits can be found in Galatians
5:16-24. Following the will of the spirit leads to holiness and following the
will of the flesh leads to sin. This also opens the door to the dark or evil
spirits / the workers of Satan. The will of the flesh is easy to be fooled
and/or leads to rationalizations of conduct that our hearts know better and to
idolize of the things of this world.
"Discernment of spirits" is the term given to the judgment whereby to
determine from what spirit the impulses of the soul emanate, and it is easy to
understand the importance of this judgment both for self-direction and the
direction of others. Now this judgment may be formed in two ways. In the first
case the discernment is made by means of an intuitive light which infallibly
discovers the quality of the movement; it is then a gift of God, a grace gratis
data, vouchsafed mainly for the benefit of our neighbour (1 Corinthians 12:10).
This charisma or gift was granted in the early Church and in the course of the
lives of the saints as, for example, St. Philip Neri. Second, discernment of
spirits may be obtained through study and reflection.
It is then an acquired human knowledge, more or less perfect, but very useful
in the direction of souls. It is procured, always, of course, with the
assistance of grace, by the reading of the Holy Bible, of works on theology and
asceticism, of autobiographies, and the correspondence of the most distinguished
ascetics. The necessity of self-direction and of directing others, when one had
charge of souls, produced documents, preserved in spiritual libraries, from the
perusal of which one may see that the discernment of spirits is a science that
has always flourished in the Church.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Can someone help me understand this   Can someone help me understand this Empty

Back to top Go down

Can someone help me understand this
Page 1 of 1